Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Prisoner on Loose at Expo


There were interesting people at the Colorado Family History Expo. Probably the most interesting was a prisoner who was roaming the halls and exhibit hall and presenting lectures. He was not a prisoner, just dressed up like one, but he certainly caught the attention of everybody there.

Ron Arons is extremely knowledgeable about criminal records, to the extent he has written books on the subject. His two books are Wanted! US Criminal Records Sources & Research Methodology and The Jews of Sing-Sing. Ron asked me if I had black sheep in the family. Oh yes, and some who were in prison and some who should have been there. Then I realized I needed his book on how to research US criminal records. So I bought it!

It will be a good read plus a companion to enhance my genealogical research of the black sheep in my family. He covers prison records, court records, parole records, pardon records, execution information, investigative reports and police reports. If your ancestor is involved in any of those records, you need the book. You can find more information at his web page about both books.

Now decide if you really want to research those shady characters in your family or if you want to put them back in the closet. As for me, I've unlocked the door to let them out!

YGGG #1 - Ruby

1 comment:

  1. I love it when an author has a wacky sense of humor and is not afraid to show it :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Find a Grave

Search 31.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname: