Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Where are the Girls?

The You Go Genealogy Girls are both still on the planet and alive!  Life doesn't seem to slow down for either one of us.  Until #2 slows down more, I'll be handling this blog ... hope you all don't mind!

YGGG #2 has been freezing garden produce Go-Hubby tended to all summer.  It seems never ending and now she is about out of freezer space.  But, it will taste good this winter.  Just think of the pots of soup and chili with those frozen tomatoes and home--made salsa for the tacos.  I think she should share some with me since I'm tending to our blog.

She is also still fighting the computers with various types of malfunctions.  After months of her printer speaking to her in a foreign language, she finally figured out how to make it return to English.  It was so foreign that she didn't have a clue about what things meant.  So far she hasn't put her main computer in the dumpster or in the middle of the street or even on the sidewalk with a sign, "Take me!"  I think she's getting close to that point though.  Last week her mother-in-law blessed her with a couple of large albums from a genealogy aunt, all needing to be scanned.  What a nice gift, especially with malfunctioning equipment and a garden that needs to be picked.

As I am preparing to go on a research trip before too long, I decided it was time to bid adieu to my old, red wheely computer bag.  It has been on many trips in the US and overseas, thrown into the overhead bins of airplanes, crammed into the trunk of the car or smashed between boxes in the back seat of the car as the YGGGs head out for Salt Lake City.  It has traveled around airports, up and down stairs, escalators and elevators, never complaining, but wearing out.  The wheels are down to nothing and there is a hole appearing in the bottom of it.  Even though wheely bag is a good friend, I am retiring it for a while to the closet and maybe eventually to the dumpster.

Today I purchased a new wheely bag.  It has bigger wheels and lots of compartments.  Now I am faced with the problem of knowing exactly where to put things in it.  I'll be flying so need to have it light enough to lift into the overhead bins.  It's black.  Red wheely bag was easy to spot among all the others that are usually black.  I hope that my new wheely bag doesn't elude me ... ancestors are enough.

Fall is that great time of year that the kids go back to school and life is supposed to slow down. The other day I realized that Lil' Red has taken on a new name ... Grandma's Taxi.  I thought those days were over when my own children learned to drive and obtained wheels (many years ago).  The rewards for this service are the smiles, hugs and togetherness I experience with my granddaughter and her friends.  But sometimes I need a perk or two along the way.

Do you need a perk?  How about a genealogy perk?  I have been enjoying the courses at the FamilySearch Learning Center.  The best part is that I don't have to be at school at a certain time, don't need to drive Lil' Red somewhere ... just allocate some time at the computer to study and learn.  The courses range from one hour to 12 minutes.  Even those of us who think we know everything can learn something.

Grandma's Taxi is parked in the garage today.  My only garden is my basil plant which is about at the end of its 2011 summer life.  I have nothing to freeze or can, so it's either learning online or learning how to pack my new wheely bag ... or both.

You Go Genealogy Girl #1 --- Ruby

3 comments:

  1. What brand & model is your new wheely bag?

    Just put the last few tomatoes in the freezer today, have a few red bell peppers yet to do, some onions to dehydrate. then some butternut squash to pick and can. Another garden year is coming to a close....thank goodness.

    I want to watch a few of those Family Search learning videos too, there's always something to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Targus Rolling Travel Laptop Case, 17 inches. I think I'll like it, even though it's about an inch bigger all the way around than the one I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stencilled (sp) my initials on my bag(s) on all 6 sides in easy-to-see letters. Use a very bright paint and touch up between trips. It was invaluable when the airline lost my luggage; the lost baggage people were thrilled with me having such obvious identification.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Find a Grave

Search 31.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname: