Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trying to Remember


I am not sure that I remember when the "I can't remember" phase hit. Maybe it was between 50 and 60, but I think it was more like between 63 and 67. However, YGGG #2, Cheri, has the same problem and she is still in her 50s. I think ... can't remember for sure. However, I can tell you that my Great, Great Grandmother Jennie was born 1 April 1847 and died 2 March 1920. She was married on 20 February 1868. I can remember my social security number, home address, but sometimes revert to my old phone number I had from 1976 to 1996. I get a little mixed up with my cell phone number and still have not totally mastered the art of texting.

Sometimes I find the cereal in the refrigerator and the milk in the pantry. Ever done that? Yesterday I lost my cleaning supplies which in a way pleased me. It was becoming a good excuse not to clean house, when I discovered them on a box of tissues in the hallway closet. It was actually YGGG #2's idea to look there.

In anticipation of having my income tax filed, I began looking for last year's income tax papers. After two hours of combing the house, even the garage, I gave up. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain there was a spark and I realized I was looking for 2009 and not 2010 which is what I'm preparing this year. Blondes may have more fun, but they also have some challenges along the way.

YGGG #2 has a sign that says "You Put It Where Stupid?" She leaves herself messages taped to the doors, the windows, the counter tops, the cupboards, the computers, the chairs, tables and mirrors. Her monthly bill for tape is excessive. I am not sure what works or why I remember the ancients and all their vital information and can't remember where I left my cell phone.

I have applications on my computer to help me remember and then I forget to use them. I use Evernote for making notes and to-do lists. Their banner is "Remember Everything." I have a list on there to remind me of what to pack for our annual two-week trip to Salt Lake City. That's okay if I don't forget that I put it on Evernote. If you haven't used Evernote, give it a try. You may remember where you put it on your computer. YGGG #2 and I use Dropbox personally and together to exchange information. If you are limited in attachment size on e-mails, this is a great way to exchange information. However, sometimes I have to call to remind her that information is in the Dropbox.

Brushing my teeth I remember the need to check out an elusive ancestor on Internet. If I wait until the teeth are clean, I will forget. I hurry to the computer with a mouth drooling of toothpaste and spit and quickly get on Internet. An hour later, I still haven't brushed my hair or put on my socks. Then I have to remember to put myself together for the day ... maybe in another five minutes.

Hobbling around for the second year with another knee failure, I have sometimes discovered my cane in one of the closets. I have notes around the house that Wednesday is knee replacement surgery day. I don't want to forget and hope the surgeon remembers. Of course, he hasn't hit that remarkable age of "I'm entitled to forget." With me it's like wearing red and purple, saying what I want and forgetting what I want to forget. The later comes easy.

YGGG #2 says she will blog while I'm moaning and groaning, gritting my teeth and wondering why I had another knee replaced. I hope she doesn't forget. Add to my list ... remind YGGG #2 to blog!

YGGG #1 --- Ruby

9 comments:

  1. Ruby - this is something that a LOT of us can relate to! Thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there, done that ... over and over and over again! I just tell people that the genealogy part of my brain is a memory hog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny.....but I sure know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you take my knees with you? Great post. We old ladies have to stick together. I forget why...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, see. Here it is 12:27 am and I "forgot" to read the blog until now! Boy are we a sorry couple old genealogy girls. I'm almost afraid to head to Salt Lake this year, we might forget the way home-intentionally, or maybe NOT! Don't "forget" to take plenty of money, we may need it in case we end up in Los Angeles on the way home while we are headed EAST.

    Did I say I would blog next week? I forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the forgetting "bug" hit me after my first child was born and its been downhill ever since!

    I can so relate to leaving notes all over the house. My tool of choice are the sticky notes. I keep them everywhere: by the TV, by my bed, even keep in the bathroom next to my toothbrush :)

    Wishing you the best on your knee replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something I can sure relate to! So glad to know I'm not the only one! I really enjoy reading your blog--it never fails to bring a smile to my face. It gives me great pleasure to give you the One Lovely Blog Award. You can find the details on my blog, A Sense of Family, at: asenseoffamily-sb@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cheri and Ruby. I just want you to know how much I enjoy your blog. You are funny and always have something fun to read.

    I have awarded you "The One Lovely Blog" award!

    You can see the instructions on my blog at www.mjhellman.blogspot.com aka Mary Jane's Genes.

    Congratulations you two for your wonderfuly delightful blog.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to everyone for honoring us with the One Lovely blog award. That is three we have gleaned lately.Our readers are the best and we appreciate you all so much!

    Cheri and Ruby

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Find a Grave

Search 31.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname: